Photography cottage in traditional style in Bulgaria, Suha reka
The cottage is suitable to be rented by people willing to spend a couple of days by themselves close to nature. We offer a variety of tours ranging from wildlife photography, birdwatching, cycling, trekking, cultural heritage, etc. Guiding is provided upon request.
Currently the cottage has two bedrooms, a kitchen and a shared bathroom. In total there are 2-4 sleeps suitable for two persons in single rooms or four people in two rooms with four beds.
© Sergey Panayotov
- The house is equipped with all the needed facilities (oven, freezer, coffee maker, tea jug for hot water, cutlery). Microwave and toaster are no available;
- Bed linen is provided;
- Two photography hides in tha backyard: photo tower (suitable for three persons) and underground hide by a drinking and feeding station (suitable for two persons);
- Inflatable swimming pool;
- Barbeque: a mobile barbeque is available that our guests can use. Charcoal is certainly provided;
- No TV is available but we assume that you would want to experience the long warm days and evening out in the yard and enjoy the sounds of wilderness with no cars;
- Please note that there is no washing machine.
Food and drinks
Food and drinks are available to buy from a market at a reasonable price from the neighbouring village about 9 km away e.g. a beer is about 0,5 EUR. There is a 'mobile' shop that visits the village every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday (in spring and summer season only) that provides basic goods such as bread, sugar, coffee (please note that stuff of mobile shop don't know English). Other than this, there is no organised meal provision. Please note that this house is given out for self catering and all the meals preparation is done in the house by the guests.
Summer can be very hot and winters very cold. Average temperatures per season are as follows:
- Spring (March-April): 5÷15 ºC
- Summer (June - September): 15÷35 ºC
- Autumn (October-November): 5÷25 ºC
- Winter (December - February): -10÷+10 ºC
The months do not correspond to astronomical seasons but to temperature ranges.
How to get there
- by airplane
There are four airports in the country at Sofia, Plovdiv, Bourgas and Varna, which is the nearest to the area of the cottage. The cottage is about 100 km N of the Varna city. If you land at any of the other airports we can offer to transfer you at low cost as you being our guests. Please see our prices section of this website.
Low cost companies that fly to Bulgaria are:
- by car
Reaching Ognyanovo by car is the fastest and easiest way to get there. Please note that there are several villages in the country with the same name so be careful if you google the name. The one of the cottage is in Krushare municipality, Dobrich county and is situated about 50km N of Dobritch.
Here are GPS coordinates: N43.905931, E27.661405. The birding cottage is situated in the village Ognyanovo: a quiet and remote village in NE Bulgaria, North of the town of Dobritch. The village has only about 10 houses which is a precondition for well preserved wilderness. There is an extensive garden list of bird observations with some of the highlights being Golden oriole, European Bee-eater, Lesser-spotted Eagle, Thrush Nightingale, Red-breasted Flycatcher, Wryneck, Syrian Woodpecker, etc. The full list of birds registered from the garden can be downloaded from here. Every visitor to the house can add his observation in a notebook left in the house.
From Varna Airport
View in larger map
From Burgas Airport
View in larger map
View larger map
What to bring?
There are several important things which you might want to take with you depending upon the services you have selected:
- repellent: you might not use but it might be a good idea to have one;
- sun cream: sun is rather strong in summer time especially if you are exposed to all day outdoor activities;
- hat: for summer or winter as appropriate;
- sunglasses (if appropriate);
- binoculars and cameras;
- Please note that there are no cash machines around. The nearest one is about 50 km away in the town of Dobritch.
© Sergey Panayotov